When we imagine any exotic beach, the first picture that comes to our mind is the wide stretch of golden sand or even white sand lined by turquoise blue water. Now replace the golden sand with pink. Yes, such pink beaches exist on earth. There are several reasons behind the formation of such beaches. The colour of the sand may vary from dark pink to light pink or even just occasional patches of pink can be seen depending on the presence of tiny red organisms. There are quite a number of Pink beaches all over the world. The following is the list of ten such beaches:
- 10. Elafonisi Beach, Crete – Greece
- 9. Spiaggia Rosa of Budelli, Sardinia – Italy
- 8. Pink Beach of Komodo – Indonesia
- 7. Horseshoe Bay Beach – Bermuda
- 6. Pink Beach of Great Santa Cruz Island – Philippines
- 5. Barbuda – Caribbean Sea
- 4. Balos Lagoon Beach of Crete – Greece
- 3. Tangsi Beach of Lombok – Indonesia
- 2. Bonaire Pink Beach – Dutch Caribbean Island
- 1. Pink Beach of Harbor Island – Bahamas
10. Elafonisi Beach, Crete – Greece
Located to the south of Crete in the Mediterranean sea, Elafonisi is the most beautiful among all other Greek islands. One can walk through the shallow water at the time of low tide and reach the island that is lined by pink sand.
9. Spiaggia Rosa of Budelli, Sardinia – Italy
The words Spiaggia Rosa translates to Pink Beach and this Italian island is famous for its spectacular pink beach. The sand gets this pinkish tint as the microorganisms that live on conch-shells get broken down by the waves and spread all over the beach. The pink sand, clear blue water along with the surrounding granite rocks create an atmosphere of serenity.
8. Pink Beach of Komodo – Indonesia
One of the 17508 islands of Indonesia, Komodo is noted for its bright pink beach which is interrupted by rocky patches at some places. The sea here is the home to several corals. Moreover, the Komodo dragon which is the world’s largest lizard can be seen here.
7. Horseshoe Bay Beach – Bermuda
Present in the North Atlantic ocean, Bermuda is a British Overseas territory. Out the several islands present here, Bermuda stands out for its light pink beach that contains tiny pieces of invertebrates and shells washed ashore by the sea.
6. Pink Beach of Great Santa Cruz Island – Philippines
A small island in Zamboanga, Philippines is well known for its magical pink beach. The sand got this shade after the crushed red organ pipe coral got deposited on the beaches by the sea waves.
5. Barbuda – Caribbean Sea
Western part of Barbuda contains occasional stretches of baby pink beaches and the island is located between the Caribbean Sea and the Atlantic Ocean. In the sand living microorganisms as well as pieces of shells can be found.
4. Balos Lagoon Beach of Crete – Greece
Another island of Greek, which has patches of pink beach, is the Balos lagoon. It is surrounded by shallow water and rocks and cliffs.
3. Tangsi Beach of Lombok – Indonesia
Located in west Nusa Tenggara, the beaches of Lombok have very less population making it more exotic. The sand gets it pink colour from the broken segments of the coral reefs.
2. Bonaire Pink Beach – Dutch Caribbean Island
The famous Caribbean island, Bonaire is noted for its pink beaches and is highly suitable for water sports. The presence of pink foraminifera in the sand is the reason behind its bright pink colour.
1. Pink Beach of Harbor Island – Bahamas
Located in the Atlantic Ocean, the pink beaches of Harbor Island are world famous. It has three miles of exquisite pink beach.
Pink beaches are not only a part of fantasy world anymore; they exist in reality and are fast becoming popular tourist attraction.